Kern Community Response Grant Recipients
Aug 24, 2009
The Kern Community Foundation Board approved nine (9) recipients for its Kern Community Response Grant Program funds totaling $120,000. Recipients are:
- Golden Empire Gleaners - $20,000, Funding provides operating funds to assist in feeding 20,000 families per month
- Kern County Teen Challenge - $20,000, Funding sustains the Emergency Induction Phase Program which provides food, shelter, safety & crisis / victim support for individuals seeking recovery from substance abuse
- Bakersfield Homeless Center - $15,000, Funding provides kitchen, food, dorms & shelter services to the homeless
- Alliance Against Family Violence & Sexual Assault - $15,000, Funding goes to the Emergency Shelter Program providing food, shelter & clothing
- N.E.E.D.S. Center Inc. - $15,000, the “Emergency Food Program” provides one week of food to those in need and “Weekly Food Program” (Pantry) which assists with the food supply to supplement weekly food requirements based on a family size
- Flood Bakersfield Ministries, Inc. - $13,000, Funding provides meals, housing referrals / placement, outreach, volunteer work, and support / mentoring services
- Assistance League - $10,000, Program provides school clothing for socioeconomic disadvantaged elementary school boys & girls
The Salvation Army, Golden State Division - $10,000, Funding provides remote offices with cash assistance in eastern Kern, high-desert and Buttonwillow areas for rent & mortgage, gas, electric, and medical assistance
- Kern River Valley Senior Citizens, Inc. - $2,000, Meals on Wheels program delivers free, hot, daily meals to home-bound seniors
Weingart-Kern Community Foundation re-granting Funds
In 2005, the Weingart Foundation awarded a three-year $486,000 grant to the Kern Community Foundation (KCF) to establish a re-granting program for Kern County nonprofits and to stimulate additional endowment contributions through a $150,000 matching challenge. The Weingart-Kern Community Foundation (KCF) Fund first awarded grants in October of 2006. From October 2006 through August 2009, thirty-two organizations have received grants through this program.
For 2009-2010, KCF combined $99,175 from the balance of the Weingart-Kern Community Foundation re-granting funds along with $20,825 of KCF Discretionary grantmaking funds totaling $120,000 to award out to these nine nonprofit organizations.